Difference between revisions of "Meeting notes (2017)"
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Created page with "== December 19, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald == *The official monthly meeting was rescheduled to tonight because holiday. *Finances **Stable slight increase due to lower c...")
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
== December 19, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald ==
== December 19, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald ==
Latest revision as of 19:54, 10 May 2020
- 1 December 19, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald
- 2 November 28, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald
- 3 October 31, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald
- 4 September 26, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald
- 5 August 29, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald
- 6 July 25, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald
- 7 June 27, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald
- 8 May 30, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald
- 9 April 25, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald
- 10 April 11, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald - Special Meeting
- 11 March 28, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald
- 12 February 28, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald - Annual General Meeting
- 13 January 31, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald
December 19, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald
- The official monthly meeting was rescheduled to tonight because holiday.
- Stable slight increase due to lower costs (hydro bill)
- Having food drives food donations
- Membership numbers good at 57
- New website
- Set to go live Friday Dec 22 possible launch party.
- Any members that can provide content would be good ie) project.
- Does any member own the Skullspace Instagram... we should ask on announce/discuss
- Website can post blog posts to social media but we need credentials for Skullspaces social media accounts.
- The Gary effect will be hosting a gift give way for low income families. If interested visit garyeffect.ca
- Carl's enclosure nearly complete just wire routing and dust management left.
November 28, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald
- 13 members present (no recap of last meeting minutes)
- Lively discussion of how to generate revenue and events for Skullspace
- Liquor licensing in the space
- Have to get space up to code and investigate what blockers there are (fire inspection)
- There should be past emails to investigate what is exactly needed
- Running weekly/monthly events at a bar
- Promote Skullspace as a coworking space
- If we can separate the classroom from the rest of the space, we can make the classroom nicer and then potentially host events there (small scale dance parties?)
- Running classes for things that our members are good at
- programming/3d printer/CNC Router/Soldering, video games, art, designing things
- colocation services and/or vm services
- Hackathons at the space
- Discussed having a paid position for volunteer/event coordinator to run things
- Liquor licensing in the space
- Discussed how to make the space nicer
- Purchase good furniture and replace crappy furniture
- 'Recycling run' is needed to get rid of unused junk (MAME machine, etc.)
- Justin wants to make curtains to separate the classroom from the rest of the space
October 31, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald
- Projector kerfuffle w.r.t. pinball
- Net worth a little lower, but we're still healthy.
- We had a large snacks/drinks expense, but we've paid nearly all of it off and we'll be seeing good returns next month.
- A. Michael made a pre-paying account for our summer insurance, so we'll never be hit by surprise by that.
- Our membership is paying our rent and a little extra; donations, snacks, events, and such pay for everything else.
- The 3D printer (which we bought in 2013!) is driving Edwin bonkers, and he'd like to buy a new printer. Is anyone willing to pitch in for a Prusa I3 Mk3?
- We will contact the landlord about putting up signs telling people not to park under the fire escape?
- Troy is taking pictures of the space for our website.
September 26, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald
- 9 members present
- Recap of last meeting minutes
- A little lower this month than last, but still about a month in the bank
- Big insurance payments are now done
- Michael to add an account to average those insurance fees across a whole year for better budgeting / foresight
- Drinks tend to sell better than food
- Quite a bit more in membership dues compared to last year
- Unit upstairs (cheaper by $600/month) is becoming available soon - Michael to reach out to Bob Brown. Will look into it and report back.
- Anti-social: Michael won't be running it, but Wayne sounded like he might want to. Best not to rush it to ensure a better turnout. Michael will talk to Wayne to make plans.
- Michael wants to eventually plan a smaller, quieter, more geeky night targeted towards members of SkullSpace and their friends.
- Papers we love is at the space tomorrow. Some fancy text to speech stuff.
- Communications strikeforce has met. More coming soon.
- Meeting over 6:42pm
August 29, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald
- 8 members including Michael, Stefan, Thor, Edwin, Keith...
- we have 1 month rent as backup
- downward trend due to insurance will continue for another month.
- events made August somewhat profitable
- Lockpicking event happened - it went well
- Ingress event happened - it went well
- attendees at lockpicking event had trouble swiping in at front door, possibly due to to much use
- member reports getting lock in the space because motion sensor is flakey
- get a sign asap
- look into installing pushbar
- member suggests hold a "fixing the space" hackathon
- b-sides nov4-5, looking for speakers
- should get update photos for the computer for refugees soon
- member suggests creating strikeforce to update wiki, webpage, member intake process etc.
- motion to turn air cond. back on
July 25, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald
- Members: 8
- 3D Printing Workshop over here. IEEE might be sponsoring refreshments? 5 or 6 talks. Reverse engineering Tiko. Retrofitting the motors, etc.
- Ai-Kon went good. We had a lot of interest and there were no hiccups. It was like a mini comic-con.
- Financial news:
- We're seeing a spike in members after all last month's memberships started coming through. We won't be relying quite as hard on event funds, but those will still be necessary for now.
- We're still in that four-month period every summer where we're paying for insurance. We're continuing a downward trent, but we shouldn't fall below where we were in February.
- Our air conditioner might have problems. It seems to be working now, but we'll keep an eye on it. Someone predicted a few years ago that it was on its last legs.
June 27, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald
- 3D printing intro day - stay tuned for sometime this summer
- X-Carl is now operational once again (thanks Edwin!)
- Finances appear to be stabilizing
- New Keyfobs are in - rejoice!
- Mark Jenkins is presenting a talk at the space tomorrow - "Resisting the Surveillance State"
- SkullSpace fund2013 minutes are at Meeting_notes\2013
raising campaign is active - check out http://skull.space/summer - Donation matching!
- Michael K is still looking for volunteers for the AiKon table, hit him up if you are available!
- Temporary water service is now in effect @ 374 Donald
- Unix Epoch rollover to 1500000000 is happening on July 13 - stay tuned for an event announcement
May 30, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald
- April minutes read
- 72 Princess location for social- Chris made preliminary contact.
- Free credit pinball today
- Two pinball events still to come - contact Manitoba Pinball Asc. or just show in interested
- Edwin asked developer for discount on KISS slicer. Developer gave gave us a free licence
- Edwin and Thor experimenting with mater control for 3d printer
- X-Carl may have a damaged arduino and/or X-axis stepper driver
- Edwin ordered replacement and upgrade parts for Carl
- Edwin looking for Windows Vista licence for some bizarre reason
- 1st pinball event happened, it was fun
- Papers we love happened it wen well, apparently it's on YouTube
- Student films screening event being planned
- cyber-defense challenge happened, it went well
- Front street being torn up from June 8 - July 27, good luck parking.
- sandbox table still incomplete and broken
- abridged financial report because scripts were configured for USD not CAD. Micheal may email complete report after meeting
April 25, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald
- We read the minutes from last week.
- Adrian had a suggestion for an Anti-Social space. 72 Princess, third floor, $450.
- Freight elevator if needed.
- Financial Report:
- We had made some money from events, so we're holding steady.
- We have a couple new members.
- The insurance payments in the summer are what usually do us in.
- Member dues essentially pay for rent. We rely on donations and event revenue to cover insurance and utilities.
- Plans for the floor? Getting ends of linoleum would be nice and cheap. We should be able to just roll it out without gluing.
- Chris's friend has some ideas on how to decorate the place.
April 11, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald - Special Meeting
- Meeting held to vote on proposed amendments that were not voted on during 2017 AGM due to procedural error.
- Due to not meeting a quorum, the bylaw amendments were not voted on.
March 28, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald
- Meeting called
- Approved previous minutes
- Financial report: Looks okay. We had a good event with the synth meetup, so we probably aren't losing anything this month. Michael doesn't have the bank records at the moment.
- Why is the door always locked now?
- The architects lock it at 5:00?
- A lot of members had applied lately, and we're contacting them one by one.
- Hackaday is hiring contract writers! Writing about projects and such, so apply today.
- (P.S. we should document all the neat stuff we do here.)
- Was there money in our fund to purchase upholstery?
- So Chris had the idea to get furniture to make our space better.
- More flooring! Stuff like that.
- We need lockers, too. Costco has a sale.
- We can probably get old ones from Habitat for Humanity, too.
- We took a vote. The people who didn't show up will never know.
- Flickr is full of pictures from other events, but never anything in our space. We should take more photos in the space.
- Edwin talked about pinball and such. Virtual pinball, etc.
- We've got an orange (the construction type) SkullSpace toque for sale.
- Marcel is looking for a video camera (camcorder?) for an upcoming trip. He was looking for something "a step up from an iPhone."
- Upcoming events:
- Ron's CTF event this Saturday
- Manitoba Comic Con this Saturday and Sunday. We have a table.
February 28, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald - Annual General Meeting
- Announced bylaw meeting which will come up after the AGM.
- Give us suggestions if you missed them
- We will announce the meeting for voting three weeks in advance
- Financial update for the year
- This month's projection still shows downward slope, two months left
- We're losing ~$300 per month until the major expense of insurance kills us
- Balance seems high at $13,000 but liabilites are at ~$10,000
- Yearly figures show earnings of $30,000 and $24,000 expenses
- High donation amount, power's been a consistent expense
- Expenses were surprisingly even with earnings
- Year in review
- Members who have come and gone
- Events we ran this year
- Months electronics workshops in the beginning
- 3D Printing Events
- Comic Con
- Aikon's Winterfest
- GIS Event
- Weekly drone events
- Computer Refurb
- Space change
- Great purge of 2017
- Adrian rekagiggered the server rack
- Sean improved our Wifi
- We no longer have VOI as a provider internet
- Winnitron is now updated with new games
- Projects of the year
- Pong game with Troy and Edwin
- PDP-8 restoration by Adrian
- Arcade Joystick
- Bluetooth hacking with Troy and Edwin
- Ben's ball-o-buttons
- Synthesizer modules created by Jordan Justice
- RAM dumping by programming
- Netbright signs with Jay
January 31, 2017 - 18:00 @ 200-374 Donald
- Meeting called 6:00pm
- FPV update
- FPV Wing build moved to Feb 23rd
- discontinuing the regular FPV extravaganza until further notice, lack of interest
- Members: Read the Bylaws and propose any changes
- announce proposed changes to bylaws on Feb 7th (still waiting for members to submit proposed changes)
- Synthesizer petting zoo is gaining momentum
- Bylaw amendment ideas
- requiring invitation to apply for membership seems outdated as per our recent practices
- one guest per member in the space rule
- need to update wiki as per meeting requirements
- Finances!!!! - see report here
- forecast: early April is when we die should we not grow our membership
- next big upfront payment - july?? need to confirm
- Membership strategies: we need to throw more events to gain more members! Our efforts reflect membership growth, need to keep up the good work
- Government Grants - paying for events, supplies
- IEEE wpg section?
- Malware analysis was well attended
- Teddy Ruxpin > Furby
- POS terminals working - for snacks!?!?!?
- KeyFOBs should be hear by Feb 3rd
- Meeting adjourned @ 18:41