Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup green olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup black olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine (crappy hooch is fine)
- basil, oregano and cracked black papper, chili pepper to taste
- optional: shredded carrot, chopped celery, red peppers, etc.
- Heat olive oil in heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Sautee garlic until it starts to brown slightly
- Add in onions and sautee until they are translucent
- Mix in chopped olives and spices and sautee for a few minutes
- Add in tomatoes, capers and wine
- Simmer on medium-low heat until liquid is reduced.
- Serve over pasta or with garlic bread
- You can also add in a tin of tomato sauce if you would like a ticker consistency.
- A dash of balsamic vinegar can be substituted for the wine
- A little lemon juice is nice if the tomatoes you have are too sweet.
- If you have them, fresh roma tomatoes are excellent in place of the canned ones, just sautee them a little longer.
- Fresh spices are best, but dried ones are fine.