Don't Copy that Toffee
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup margarine (Earth Balance works well)
- 2 tsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- NOTE: You will need a candy thermometer and a parchment-lined baking sheet
- Combine sugar, margarine and water large saucepan - with the candy thermometer.
- Stir over low heat until margarine and sugar have melted.
- Increase heat to medium-high, stirring constantly. The mixture will bubble up as the water is cooked off. The volume will increase dramatically at this point. After the water has evaporated, the mixture will collapse.
- Continue cooking until you thermometer reads 300F
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour toffee onto parchment lined baking sheet and spread into a thin layer (about 1/4 inch) with a spatula.
- Cover and cool in refrigerator until set.
- Break into pieces and store in a sealed container.