I can't believe it's not oatmeal
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Breakfast Quinoa with toasted coconut, almonds and fresh mango Makes enough for 2 breakfasts
- 1 cup quinoa (yellow, red or a mixture)
- 2 cups water
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp applesauce
- 2 tbsp dry shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 4 tbsp slivered almonds
- 1/2 to 1 cup fresh mango chunks (frozen or canned also work, although the latter are usually too sweet)
- Milk, cream,(soy or dairy) to taste
- Brown sugar to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Line a baking sheet with baker's parchment
- Spread coconut evenly across baking sheet
- Toast coconut on the centre rack for about 6 minutes, until it starts to brown.
- Remove coconut from the oven and store in a bowl.
- Repeat this process for the almonds (almonds may take slightly longer to begin to brown)
- Rinse dry quinoa under running water.
- Place quinoa, salt, and water in a medium pot and bring to a boil
- Simmer the quinoa over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until all of the water is absorbed
- Remove from heat and allow quinoa to cool slightly
- Combine quinoa with applesauce, almonds and coconut, and mango
- Serve topped with sprinkling of sugar and a splash of milk.
Source: Joy The Baker