Over 9000 Alarm chili
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 3 cups dried red kidney beans
- 1 1/2 cups dried black beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped chipotles
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unprocessed sea salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 4 cups water
- Soak the dried beans in water for a few hours before making your chili. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, peppers and garlic and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until vegetables are softened but not browned.
- Add chipotle chilies, oregano, cumin, chili powder and salt. Stir to blend. Add tomatoes and 4 cups water. Gently simmer over low heat, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Add the beans and simmer an additional 45 to 60 minutes on low heat, until the beans are soft. You can add more water if you prefer a more liquid chili.
- Serve hot and garnish individual bowls of the vegetarian chili with green onions or cilantro.
- Try it with tortilla chips or tasty sourdough bread as a warming meal starter or snack.
- As an entree, pair it with healthy brown rice, boiled potatoes, or your favorite whole wheat pasta.
Source of recipe: http://vegweb.com/recipes/colorful-vegetarian-chili-chipotle-chilies