Stolen Sweet Roll
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 500 g all purpose flour
- 40 g fresh yeast*
- 1/3 cup sugar + 1 T
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 + 1/3 cup margarine, softened
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/3 cup ground almonds
- zest of half a lemon
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 5.3 oz marzipan
- 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp Brandy, Rum (or rose water)
- 1/4 cup margarine or coconut oil
- 50-100g powdered sugar
- Sift flour into a bowl and mix with sugar. Melt margarine and add non-dairy milk. Let cool to room temperature. Dissolve yeast in the mixture and add to flour mixture. Let sit for 15 minutes until the yeast starts bubbling. Mix with the other ingredients until everything is well incorporated. Transfer to floured working surface and knead for 5 minutes until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, cover with a plate (or loosely with plastic foil) and transfer to fridge. Let proof over night.
- Take out the dough the next morning and let it come to room temperature (e.g. by putting the bowl close to the heating for 1/2 hour). Don’t worry if the dough is pretty stiff at first. That’s because of all the margarine that has hardened again.
Meanwhile prepare the filling:
- Mix raisins and almonds, set aside.
- Mix marzipan, fruit, brandy, and powdered sugar and knead until smooth.
- Divide into three parts of equal size and set aside.
- Add raisins and almonds to the stollen dough and slowly knead in.
- Divide dough into three equal pieces.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle.
- Roll one of the marzipan pieces into a log and place on top of the dough
- Tightly wrap the dough around the marzipan log and seal the edges (no marzipan should stick out)
- Shape the stollen. Take a wooden spoon and press it into one side of the dough, then press it into the other side.
- After you shaped your stollen, pick off the raisins that stick out to prevent burning.
- Shape all three loaves and loosely cover them with a clean, damp kitchen towel (they won’t rise very much during this time).
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Transfer the loaves to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake them for ten minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 350F and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Place a piece of aluminium foil on top of the bread if it gets too dark.
- Sift the powdered sugar and melt the margarine or coconut oil.
- Take the stollen out of the oven and immediately brush it with the melted margarine/oil.
- Repeat this until all the margarine is used up.
- Sift powdered sugar on top of your stollen and let the stollen cool completely.