The Recently Landed Spagetti Monster
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 4 tbsp olive oil (plus a bit more to toss into the pasta)
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp hot red pepper flakes
- 1 sprig fresh basil, coarsely chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried basil)
- 1 spring fresh oregano, finely chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried oregano)
- 4 tbsp capers, drained
- 1 cup sliced Kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup large green olives, sliced (the kind with pimento are fine)
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- salt and ground black pepper to taste (although the olives and capers are quite salty so be sure to taste the sauce before adding salt!)
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan.
- Stir in the garlic, olives and capers and sautee 5 minutes to allow flavours to meld
- Mix in the tomatoes and spices (if using fresh spices, add them to the mixture before the tomatoes and sautee for another minute or two before adding the tomatoes)
- Bring the sauce just to a boil, then reduce heat to low, stirring to help break up the tomatoes.
- Simmer 15-20 minutes until liquid is reduced
- Stir in red wine
- Cook pasta according to package directions
- Toss pasta with a bit of olive oil to prevent sticking (a bit of garlic powder is good here also)
- Put pasta in a large bowl, top with sauce and chopped parsely.