U Jelly Doughnut
Makes 25 mini doughnuts
These are classic yeast-raised doughnuts, deep-fried, rolled in sugar, and filled with jam. A pastry bag fitted with a round tip makes it easy to fill them with jam, but you can also cut them in half and spoon the filling into the center.
- 1 0.25-oz. pkg. active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tsp. sugar, divided
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3 Tbs. nonhydrogenated vegan margarine, melted
- 2 cups canola or vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tsp. seedless raspberry jam
- Mix yeast and 1 tsp. sugar with 1 cup warm water (110°F) in measuring cup. Let stand 5 minutes, or until mixture foams and smells yeasty.
- Whisk together flour, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg in large bowl. Grease separate large bowl with oil.
- Stir yeast mixture into flour mixture with wooden spoon until sticky dough forms. Add up to 1/4 cup warm water to make smooth dough. Stir in melted margarine. Turn dough out onto well-floured work surface, and knead 6 to 8 minutes, or until smooth, soft, elastic dough forms. Add flour while kneading, if necessary. Transfer to oiled bowl, cover with towel, and let rise in warm place 1 1/2 hours.
- Dust baking sheet with flour. Roll dough out to 1/4-inch-thick round on well-floured work surface. Cut 25 circles from dough with 2-inch round cutter. Transfer rounds to prepared baking sheet, and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rest 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in large skillet or Dutch oven to 370°F, or until hot but not smoking. Fry doughnuts in oil 3 to 5 minutes, or until deep golden brown, turning two or three times. Drain on paper-towel-lined plate; then roll in superfine sugar while still warm. Cool.
- Poke small hole in side of each doughnut with toothpick or wooden dowel. Use pastry bag fitted with small round tip to fill each doughnut with 1 tsp. raspberry jam.
Source: Vegetarian Times, September 2009